If you’re looking for a delightful way to use up those abundant zucchinis from your garden, look no further than this treasured family recipe for Zucchini Relish. This sweet and tangy relish is the perfect condiment to complement your favorite dishes, from hot dogs and hamburgers to sandwiches and salads. Let’s dive into the step-by-step guide on how to make this delightful relish that’s sure to become a staple in your pantry.
- 12 cups Shredded zucchini
- 4 cups Shredded onions
- 5 tbsp Canning salt
- 1 Shredded red pepper
- 1 Shredded green pepper
- 2 ½ cups white vinegar
- 6 cups white sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp Black pepper
1. Prepare the Zucchini and Onions:
- In a large stainless-steel bowl, combine the shredded zucchini and onions.
- Sprinkle the canning salt over the mixture.
- With your hands, gently mix the zucchini and onions until the salt is evenly distributed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate it overnight. This step allows the salt to draw out excess moisture from the vegetables, ensuring a crisp and flavorful relish.
2. Drain and Rinse:
- The next day, take out the bowl from the refrigerator and drain the zucchini and onions in a colander.
- Rinse them thoroughly with cold water to remove any excess salt.
- Squeeze out any remaining water and set the zucchini-onion mixture aside.
3. Prepare the Relish Base:
- In a large pot, combine the shredded red and green peppers, white sugar, white vinegar, and cornstarch.
- Add the nutmeg, turmeric, celery seed, and black pepper to the pot, stirring to ensure all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Cooking the Relish:
- Now, add the drained and rinsed zucchini-onion mixture to the pot with the relish base.
- Place the pot on the stove over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- The mixture will thicken and develop a wonderful blend of flavors.
5. Canning the Relish:
- While the relish simmers, prepare your canning jars by washing them in hot, soapy water and sterilizing them.
- Fill the jars with the hot zucchini relish, leaving about ½ inch of headspace at the top.
- Wipe the jar rims with a clean, damp cloth to ensure a proper seal.
- Place the lids on the jars and screw on the bands, but not too tightly.
6. Water Bath Processing:
- Submerge the filled jars in a boiling water bath canner, ensuring they are covered with water by at least 1 inch.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil and process the jars for about 15 minutes. Adjust the processing time according to your altitude if necessary.
- After processing, carefully remove the jars from the water bath and place them on a towel on the counter to cool.
7. Enjoy Your Homemade Zucchini Relish:
- Once the jars have cooled, check the seals to ensure they are tight and secure.
- Label the jars with the date and store them in a cool, dark place.
- The zucchini relish will improve in flavor as it sits, but you can enjoy it right away if you can’t wait!
With this Zucchini Relish recipe, you’ll have a delightful homemade condiment that captures the essence of summer. Whether you’re serving it at a family barbecue or sharing it with friends, this relish is sure to impress with its sweet, tangy, and slightly spicy taste. And who knows, maybe this relish will become a cherished family tradition in your household, too! Happy canning and relishing!